[haiku-development] Re: /boot/home/config vs. /boot/common

  • From: "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:09:57 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth "Axel =?utf-8?q?D=C3=B6rfler?=" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

| /boot/common is supposed to get all the stuff in the future, and that
| may or may not include alpha 1, depending on Ingo's motivation and time
| :-)
| In any case, it's the first choice for system-wide installations.

This is probably more obvious to someone who already knows what it means,
but somewhere I hope it's documented in a little more detail.  Like,
what does "system-wide" mean - if I'm writing an install script, how do
I know what is system-wide and what isn't?

If there's really a point in creating a new, competing platform-specific
install location, it's important for that purpose to be described as
unambiguously as possible.  Otherwise you can end up with something that
was started with good intentions, but actually makes life worse by
splitting stuff more or less at random between two locations.  (Really
I think that outcome is nearly guaranteed, but I hope I'm wrong.)

        Donn