[haiku-development] Re: /bin/cc

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:51:20 -0400

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2009-03-25 at 20:17:18 [+0100], Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I'm not mistaken (and I might very well be), the default BeOS
.profile set the CC environmental variable to gcc a la:

set CC=gcc
export CC

Or something similar.

At least my BeOS R5 installation doesn't do that.

Then I'm probably mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the CC variable is set in R5. See below for a reason why.
The fact that Haiku doesn't do this by default
makes compiling (Themis at least) by default slightly more difficult
because I have to do that manually on each boot or set it in the
.profile myself when I do a new build of Haiku. Not a big deal really,
but that does seem to fix the problem for me at least.

I don't know Themis' build system, but this sounds a bit weird to be honest. I haven't heard of any (pseudo) standard about defining a CC environmental variable by default. Often configure scripts allow you to explicitly set the compiler this way, but normally they find the standard compiler anyway. If you don't have a /bin/cc that might be the problem, though.

Themis' makefile has depended on using the CC environmental variable which pointed to either cc or gcc (I believe it was the latter) for at least the last 5.5 years. (Given that I'm just getting back to work on it in more than 4 years, I'm reasonably certain the makefile I wrote didn't change significantly in that time if at all.) The project doesn't use any autoconf/automake or configure scripts. Haiku doesn't set CC at all at this point, and I know that this is definitely a difference between R5 and Haiku.