[haiku-development] Re: big_synth.sy considered harmful

pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

GeneralUser_GS: 29.83 MB
http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
[download FluidSynth-version 1.43 -- the zip file includes both the sf2 file
itself and some demo midis]
This is perhaps the most impressive of the lot.  I like all the instruments
(with the possible exception of the bagpipe!) but further, rather than being
just 'GM', it is 'GS', with 118 extra instruments in other banks!  (The only
problem is finding what these extra voices are.  The author doesn't seem to
provide a list.)  The included demos -- especially "The Hybrid Collage" --
show off the added voices well.

Anyone who has experience or comment on the above set, please pass it on.

Thanks,
        -- Pete --

I auditioned the generaluser sound font extensively today, it certianly has a really nice balance of size for sound quality for general purpose midi playback. Also the process of installing soundfonts is a bit painful and confusing. It would be nice if they could be user selected vrs a one size fits all.

Sean