[haiku-development] Re: /apps and /preferences and the common folder

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 14:52:23 +0200

Humdinger wrote:
Quick question:
Shouldn't /apps and /preferences be moved to /common?

In BeOS, /boot/preferences is a mix between links to system prefs, and prefs installed by the user, same for /boot/apps.

Logically, I think it would be more correct to move it to /boot/common (there is no /apps, /preferences, or /common, btw), same for /boot/develop. Dunno if we should do it, though, since I guess some scripts and packages are referring to it, and we would break them this way.

OTOH, I think we should rename /boot/beos to /boot/haiku (or /boot/os) - 3rd party software shouldn't need to directly refer to anything in /boot/beos, anyway, so the danger of breaking something is pretty low.

In any case, symlinks could help as a temporary solution, but I'm not really fond of that solution.

Bye,
   Axel.