[haiku-development] Re: /apps and /preferences and the common folder

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:48:49 -0500

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there!
> Suppose I have a custom 3rd party input_server. The Haiku original is in
> /boot/beos/system/servers/input_server. Will my custom input_server override
> the original when I put it in either /boot/common/servers/ or
> /boot/home/config/servers/? I.E., I can just create the non-existing
> "servers" folder and it works?

Generally speaking, most of the extra stuff you can install in
/boot/home/config or /boot/common is meant to supplement, not replace.
There isn't really a mechanism in place generally to say "if this or
that gets loaded from ~/config, don't load its analogue in /system".
~/config/servers for instance has been used in the past on BeOS to add
extra servers such as the im_server that IM Kit uses. In any case
replacing any of the critical system servers entirely would be a
decidedly non-trivial undertaking, and it's pretty unlikely a third
party would attempt this, especially as most of them are extensible
via add-ons in some way or other.

Hope this helps,

Rene