[haiku-development] Re: /apps and /preferences and the common folder

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:39:39 -0200

Humdinger wrote:

 > Quick question:
 > Shouldn't /apps and /preferences be moved to /common?

Could be, but I am not sure. Here is how I think of this:

/boot/beos (shoudln't we change this to /boot/os and link /boot/beos to it?): Includes everything that is shipped with the OS by default (not considering optional packages).

/boot/common, /common : Everything that is user installed and that is supposed to be used by all users.

/boot/home/$USER/config : Everything that is users specific.

The question still stands, and I raise by one more:

Suppose I have a custom 3rd party input_server. The Haiku original is in /boot/beos/system/servers/input_server. Will my custom input_server override the original when I put it in either /boot/common/servers/ or /boot/home/config/servers/? I.E., I can just create the non-existing "servers" folder and it works?

Note this is not a generic thiong and must be implemented by the servers themselves. In the case of the input_server, I think it looks only in /boot/system and /boot/home/config.

And this, of course, brings a different questions: When we go full multiuser and the system boots, it will obviously user only stuff in /boot/system. But what if the user that logs in has an add-on that overrides one of the system ones? Should we even allow that?

In the same vein: How about Tracker and Deskbar that sit directly in /boot/beos/? Are these things "overridable" like this?

They are not. they are simply apps. There is no special treatment for apps except for the fact that they can be loaded by signature and in the case of 2 apps with the same signature, one or the other can end up being loaded (probably the first one that shows in the index).

-Bruno