[haiku-development] Re: app_server flag fixes

  • From: Chris Roberts <cpr420@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 01:38:12 +0000

Disclaimer: I'm not actually advocating that terminal should change
all of the shortcuts. That was just for the sake of argument.  I'm
sure too many people would whine about the copy/paste thing.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you don't have a Mac-like keyboard with an explicit command key
> this will always devolve into having to special case the Terminal
> application. I personally don't think the inconsistency is worth it
> (Alt-C and Alt-V everywhere for cut and paste, EXCEPT Terminal where
> all of sudden you need to add a shift.)

I would argue that terminal should have the ability to be exempt from
the normal rules because it is a special case.  It provides a
completely unique way of interfacing with the system that is totally
different from the gui.

> If anything we should try to design a Haiku-friendly Bash key binding
> setup. Or the Terminal could pass through to the shell the shortcuts
> it isn't actually using. In fact how much overlap is there between the
> Bash key bindings and the shortcuts in our Terminal? That might be a
> decent solution and it should be doable (though it might require
> app_server changes.)

Allowing pass-through of unused keys is probably the favorable
solution but you're always going to run into the long time bash user
with a customized setup who finds that his/her keys aren't available.
But, you can't please everybody :)

--Chris