[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 14:54:13 -0700

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Jorge G. Mare<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see what you mean about not wanting to flood Haiku with apps. What I
> really don't understand is how you can substantiate that the expected
> Haiku user base will not use ClockWerk but they will use WonderBrush.
> Forgive me for asking, but what kind of target user base are you
> assuming that would support such notion?

I agree on the WonderBrush thing. I think it's a neat app, but I don't
think I've ever really used it. I always include it on demo machines
so I can load it up and show people, but frankly, I don't even know
how to properly use it ;)

So, if targetting "demos" perhaps we should include some relatively
nice native software, but if targetting "minimal usable distro" - I
say we can leave out stuff like WonderBrush, Clockwerk, etc.

Even the built-in email client isn't useful for me, as I use GMail
almost exclusively. However, that doesn't mean the built-in client is
useless for me to demo, as it can certainly be used to demonstrate the
power of the OS, and what you can get from native Haiku software vs.
portable solutions (browser-based, thunderbird, etc).

In the end, I suspect it's going to end up reflecting what the
developers want/use... but perhaps we should define the target
audience a bit further so that we can define the target distro. The
target could certainly change over time - I think right now it caters
slightly to developers (by including Pe, development tools,
icon-o-matic, etc.), but in the future, it might start to target
end-users more?

- Urias