[haiku-development] Re: Yet another Task for GSoC: HUD

  • From: "kirilla@xxxxxxxxxx" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:30:46 +0100

 …
> However, IIRC there were posts saying that this class is supercharged
> anyway - but the experts out there should know better.

I assume that API will have to change anyway. (It has us hardcoding
characters for command shortcuts which may not be available in the
locale of the user. How does other platforms deal with this?)

Easy implementation is nice, but not an argument for a user interface
change from the interaction point of view.

More thought should go into design, keeping it coherent while trying to
figure out where we want to go with it, what we think is the future of the
user interface. (And what devices to run Haiku on.)

I think Mac OS X has gained a lot from it's frequent release schedule.
They get away with interface changes that would not go down well with
e.g. corporate PC users. (Or UI-conservatives like us.)

I assume they have a long-term UIX plan and split up the work in design
milestones fit for human consumption and for marketing.

/Jonas