[haiku-development] Re: Yet another Task for GSoC: HUD

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 17:00:34 +0100

Am 01.03.2012 14:05, schrieb x-otic@xxxxxxx:
Furthermore this feature makes the shortcuts of applications
discoverable.

No it completely does not. Unless you consider typing in random words

No, you type in "ALT+" or "CTRL+" etc. which makes sense if the shortcuts
themselves are searchable too, as I wrote earlier.

Ah yes, true, sorry for missing that.

First, sorry for taking this discussion way too far!
Let me summarize:
For a GSoC task this proposal is incomplete. It should be worked out to cover
help system integration along with the necessary API extension. Otherwise it's
useless.

Yes. I think fundamentally, there needs to be infratructure (an API) for applications to declare their available functions. And declaring a function should include declaring associated keywords and a short description. Perhaps even two levels of description, one usable as tool tip, the other a bit more verbose.

Now, what we do with this declared information is separate from this API. It may be used to implement a global help system, it may be used to improve scripting, and of course the proposed menu search feature. The API should be written with as much possible features in mind, and then the menu search system should already make use of it, even though at first the only actual data source are the menu item names themselves.

Best regards,
-Stephan