[haiku-development] Re: Year 2038 problem

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 18:55:44 -0700

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 18:35:37 -0700, Earl Pottinger <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are you sure there is a problem, while I have not looked at the clock time code system_time() returns a 64 bit value, I assumed (you what >that means) that the other timing values in Haiku-OS are also 64 bits in size.

That function returns the number of the microseconds since the computer was booted.

real_time_clock() returns the number of seconds since the Unix epoch (1 Jan 1970), and that returns an unsigned 32-bit integer, so in principle it's good until sometime in the 22nd century.

I'm not sure how the value is stored internally, though.

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:52 PM, Jérôme Duval <jerome.duval@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think Haiku have this problem too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

What can a good way to fix this and where all need this?

We have to switch x86_64 to a 64-bit time_t for sure, this just needs
to be done.

Bye,
Jérôme