[haiku-development] Re: Writing Device Drivers

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:19:47 -0400

Ankur Sethi wrote:
Hi,

I installed Haiku on a Dell Vostro 1520 about a week ago. Everything
except the touchpad appears to work fine (I can move my pointer and
click/right click, but I cannot scroll using the touchpad edges). I'd
love to write a driver for it, but I have no clue where to start.
Pointers? I see
http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/device_driver_basics on the
official website, but it's from 2002.

PS: I have no prior experience writing device drivers.

I had no prior experience writing device drivers before I wrote the S3 video driver. If you examine the code of some existing drivers that handle similar devices and can determine how to interface with your device, I'm sure that you will be able to write a driver. But it will not be easy, and will require persistence. Writing the S3 and ATI video drivers was very time consuming. However, AFAIK a touchpad driver should be less complex than a video driver. Go for it!

Best regards,
Gerald