[haiku-development] Re: Wrapping up R1 alpha 2

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 06:39:43 -0700

Howdy,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
Howdy,

using the momentum of the rather productive BeGeistert coding sprint, I guess now is the perfect time to initiate the final launch sequence for the alpha 2 release. Haiku, Inc. accepted my contract proposal for focussed work on the alpha 2 release [1], I'm offering to take over the not particularly popular task of the (technical) release coordination (*) at least until my contract ends (expected in early May), but, if my spare time permits, hopefully until the release. I would like to start a vote on appointing me the release coordinator on Monday and, to not waste time, also start acting preliminarily in that position at the same time. Unless concerns are raised that is.

I am not a dev, so my vote most probably does count, but nevertheless +1 for Ingo being the release coordinator.

As noted on...

http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha2/StatusAndCoordination

...I volunteer to:

* Write the website announcement/press release
* Update website front page & atwork

With regards to the "Determine press plan" item on the same page, I have a couple of ideas:

1) Wrap up the announcement one week before release and have the various international communities translate it into their languages in time for release day. This would require coordination with trusted members of each community, but I think it is doable.

2) Push the new to the new wire: not that it will guarantee any exposure in mainstream media, but it may be a good exercise to start getting the name out for whenever R1 is release. I can do this if you want.

Great to see a push for alpha 2! Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net