[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:47:12 -0800

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
There is currently obviously a snooze() in Tracker that makes it so slow (IIRC). Queries from the Terminal are magnitudes faster. The speed problem Joachim mentioned stems from 1000s of results, not 10000s of mails total. And that will continue to be a problem.

Well, he said, and I quote: "we can always wish for some solution that can parse ten thousands of files instantly..." so I took that literally. :)

Anyway, I see his/your point now, but I am not sure of the real impact; at least at least in the context of searching for emails from the email client, it shouldn't have an impact IMO, as when one is querying emails, it is usually to narrow down, so the results always tend to fewer rather than more files.

The situation where I could see a bigger impact is when one uses queries to organize, say, a huge archive of emails into sets of files that would be smaller but still result in thousands of files each. I used to do this in ZETA without much problems (granted, not in the early versions); if this is not a scenario that we can expect to become viable in Haiku (whenever the optimizations are done), that would considerably reduce the usefulness of queries as a means to file management and the value of queries as a selling point for the OS.

Cheers!

Jorge/aka Koki