[haiku-development] Re: Wishlist item: user-friendly programming languages

Am 28.01.2011 12:02, schrieb Alex Marinko:
I would like to call the attention of Haiku developers towards the
importance of having user-friendly programming languages available on
Haiku.
C++ is ok for 'professional' programmers, but what about newbie
programmers? Besides, let's face it: many people are put off by C++.

More user-friendly programming languages will significantly contribute
to the development of the Haiku platform.

I propose we makea list of those programming languages that are both
powerful AND appealing, and then debate the items on the list (pros
and cons, portability, etc.)

The goal is to obtain a short list of the best candidate languages,
then select a couple of languages that will receive a special
treatment (meaning that their development on Haiku will be given
priority). And then, of course, concentrate our energies on them.

What do you suggest?

BTW, my vote goes with Lua, which is both powerful and simple.

First of all, I don't mean anything I write in this mail to be discouraging... but there is a problem with the approach you propose:

The fundamental requirement for any language besides C++ to be supported on Haiku is that someone does all the actual programming work. Porting the language/runtime to Haiku, writing all the API bindings and all that. Some people, like Jon Yoder, are already spending their time on this, and they do it in a reusable way.

A discussion on what the best programming language is will a) easily go out of hand and as such be a big drain on resources (time spend to read or even reply to the mails), and b) it does not result in anything directly, since someone still has to do all the work to make it happen.

However, it is my strong believe that a language besides C++ to become available on Haiku will *not* be the result of a decision making process, but rather the result of someone with a strong desire and motivation to get *his* favored language available.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to prevent any alternative programming languages on Haiku. I just think a discussion on which one "should" be preferred is pointless and even quite dangerous, as such discussions tend to become so huge easily. Everyone has their opinion on why their language of choice is best suited.

Best regards,
-Stephan