[haiku-development] Wishlist item: user-friendly programming languages

  • From: Alex Marinko <alxmrnk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:02:28 +0100

I would like to call the attention of Haiku developers towards the
importance of having user-friendly programming languages available on
Haiku.
C++ is ok for 'professional' programmers, but what about newbie
programmers? Besides, let's face it: many people are put off by C++.

More user-friendly programming languages will significantly contribute
to the development of the Haiku platform.

I propose we makea list of those programming languages that are both
powerful AND appealing, and then debate the items on the list (pros
and cons, portability, etc.)

The goal is to obtain a short list of the best candidate languages,
then select a couple of languages that will receive a special
treatment (meaning that their development on Haiku will be given
priority). And then, of course, concentrate our energies on them.

What do you suggest?

BTW, my vote goes with Lua, which is both powerful and simple.

Alex