[haiku-development] Re: Willing to try

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:30:42 +0200

On 2007-07-16 at 14:53:31 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Welcome Ivan,
>
> Ivan <ivan.l@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So I'd like to try to be useful to Haiku development communitu. I've
> > read
> > the Getting Started page but it's not very detailed so I figured I
> > can
> > simply ask here -- what software do I need to install on a P4/2GB/
> > Windows
> > machine to develop for Haiku? I heard BeOS doesn't run on more than 1
> > GB
> > RAM? Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb question. :-) I think I
> > can
> > devote around 10 hours per week to this project but if it gets
> > interesting
> > noone can tell.
>
> Unfortunately, Windows is currently not a supported build platform.
> However, if you like to work on that, Urias and Stefano have already
> made some work towards changing that.
>
> Alternatively, you could run either BeOS, Linux, or FreeBSD in a
> virtual machine (if you lack a machine that runs it), and build Haiku
> from there. That's possibly not that convenient, though.

Personally I prefer building on Linux and testing under VMWare. Building is
significantly faster than on BeOS and VMWare provides a very good and fast
emulation. Unlike under FreeBSD and MacOS it is also supported to install
Haiku directly on a partition, in case you want to test on real hardware.

CU, Ingo