[haiku-development] Re: Willing to try

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:53:31 +0200 CEST

Welcome Ivan,

Ivan <ivan.l@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I'd like to try to be useful to Haiku development communitu. I've
> read
> the Getting Started page but it's not very detailed so I figured I
> can
> simply ask here -- what software do I need to install on a P4/2GB/
> Windows
> machine to develop for Haiku? I heard BeOS doesn't run on more than 1
> GB
> RAM? Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb question. :-) I think I
> can
> devote around 10 hours per week to this project but if it gets
> interesting
> noone can tell.

Unfortunately, Windows is currently not a supported build platform.
However, if you like to work on that, Urias and Stefano have already
made some work towards changing that.

Alternatively, you could run either BeOS, Linux, or FreeBSD in a
virtual machine (if you lack a machine that runs it), and build Haiku
from there. That's possibly not that convenient, though.

BeOS does not support more than about 1 GB of memory indeed - depending
on the memory on your graphics card it might even be less. However,
there is a RAM limiting boot loader on BeBits (http://www.bebits.com/app/3851)
that could help you to get it started natively.

Bye,
   Axel.