[haiku-development] Re: Who's working Haiku's on UI/UX?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 15:53:55 -0500

On , looncraz wrote:

On 5/17/2015 12:35, fox noodles wrote:

I think there a two(or both) ways to do it. 1. child tabs that are created by an App should be aligned right next to the parent app's tab. also there should be a setting to change this behaviour. 2. if this setting is on, child tabs will be connected to each other visually(only visually). with some triangle cut out or something like that.

Was thinking something along those very lines as well.

I've seen those.. ye can't say I'm happy what I see but some UX stuff could be useful for sure. My stuff is kinda more minimalistic and clean without obvious indicators and stuff.

I'm only for minimalism when it makes sense. Hidden scroll-bars, weak
differentials between active & inactive windows, low contrast design
(the "flat" or "metro" look), overly anti-aliased text (MacOS X goes
just a touch too far, IMHO, and looks a bit unfocused), and the like
are not something I see as beneficial to usability - and often not
even to aesthetics.

Do you consider a possible migration to something more modern?

Sure, I'm always on the look-out for new ideas, my work is all
framework and a very simple basic implementation. In fact, the
default decorator will be the current one, with inactive windows
receiving a very slight reduction in opacity, the corners nipped off
just a bit (about three pixels), and - of course - optional shadows
(which follow the decorator outline and are only a couple of pixels
wide).

I like understated designs, nice, simple, clean, but still
communicative with greater discoverability.

If you have some examples of what you mean by minimalism and modern,
that would be fantastic.

<personal opinion>

I honestly think Haiku looks clean and simple just the way it is once you
spice it up with a nice wallpaper (I do wish the community would take a poll
and add some additional default wallpapers that have an open license)

http://i.imgur.com/5TNFl.png
http://i.imgur.com/QZgJEUm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/07sPWEx.jpg
http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=vtc5dtc8yb2ef19inib6.png
http://i.imgur.com/wUI1qk2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H3X8V1b.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2itirns.jpg (uugh :P)

http://files.looncraz.net/OBOS_UI.gif looks even more outdated than
haiku is currently. Lets leave behind all the garish zeta "extras"

With all of that said, remember Haiku does have built-in support
for custom decorators:

http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/decorators

I'd be more interested in smaller updates refining widgets or
a revamp of the App Server to use subtle composting.

</personal opinion>

Anyway, keep the mockups coming. They definitely help the developers
refine down what the community wants most.

-- Alex