[haiku-development] Re: Who's working Haiku's on UI/UX?

  • From: looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 14:36:08 -0500

On 5/17/2015 12:35, fox noodles wrote:

I think there a two(or both) ways to do it. 1. child tabs that are created by an App should be aligned right next to the parent app's tab. also there should be a setting to change this behaviour. 2. if this setting is on, child tabs will be connected to each other visually(only visually). with some triangle cut out or something like that.

Was thinking something along those very lines as well.

I've seen those.. ye can't say I'm happy what I see but some UX stuff could be useful for sure. My stuff is kinda more minimalistic and clean without obvious indicators and stuff.

I'm only for minimalism when it makes sense. Hidden scroll-bars, weak differentials between active & inactive windows, low contrast design (the "flat" or "metro" look), overly anti-aliased text (MacOS X goes just a touch too far, IMHO, and looks a bit unfocused), and the like are not something I see as beneficial to usability - and often not even to aesthetics.

Do you consider a possible migration to something more modern?

Sure, I'm always on the look-out for new ideas, my work is all framework and a very simple basic implementation. In fact, the default decorator will be the current one, with inactive windows receiving a very slight reduction in opacity, the corners nipped off just a bit (about three pixels), and - of course - optional shadows (which follow the decorator outline and are only a couple of pixels wide).

I like understated designs, nice, simple, clean, but still communicative with greater discoverability.

If you have some examples of what you mean by minimalism and modern, that would be fantastic.

--The loon