[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:25:44 +0200

Am 21.08.2014 15:40, schrieb pulkomandy:
Not sure if we want to encourage such a thing... our developer pool is small
enough as it is lately.  Definitely for others working on something Linux
based in a friendly compitition though.

Food for thought, I don't think the linux kernel will build under gcc2 :-)

And that's why no one suggested we swith NOW for R1. As R2 will drop
binary compat, it might be a good time to do the switch, after R1 is
released.

Can you please get it in your head that there was and is currently no plan that R2 will drop binary compatibility? It has been mentioned to you on several occasions before. ;-)

The primary architecture of Haiku can be switched. Most likely after R1. That does *not* mean we have to drop binary compatibility as well, and why would we? We can build GCC2 compatibility system libs for as long as we think it makes sense.

Best regards,
-Stephan