[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Paweł Dziepak <pdziepak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:59:23 +0200

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>> It is a lot to ask the Haiku community to abandon our current approach
>> for what sounds like a prototype.
>>

> Totally agree, I'm not asking anyone to jump ship and join me.
>
> I am however asking the Haiku community to consider if the kernel choice
> made 14 years ago still makes sense. It's painful to leave a huge amount of
> work behind in the dust, but there's still so much Haiku work that would
> have a great life on top of a Linux or BSD based BeOS. With all the
> up-sides mentioned before (busses and drivers abound!)

Linux has changed a lot during the past 14 years. Besides, it is not really
important whether that decision was right or wrong, is it? I agree that if
we want the project to survive we would have to eventually switch to a
kernel that is actively developed and Linux seems to be the best candidate.
While long term maintaining of some out of tree Linux patches (which,
probably, are inevitable) shouldn't be very hard the initial switch
involves a lot of work and is a kind of investment. That's why if this is
going to happen we need someone sufficiently motivated begin working on it
and, hopefully, later it will attract attention of the other developers.
Long story short, make your work public and perhaps some people will find
it a promising project and will join you.

Paweł