[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:23:25 -0400

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Wayne Peter Corwin <
wayne.peter.corwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Friday, August 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Humdinger <
> humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there!
> >
> > On 29 August 2014 06:38, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Haiku needs a project manager but that isn't a fun job and tends to
> > > cost quite a bit if we wanted to hire someone.
> [...]
> > In any case, I think focused Haiku development comes from the bottom
> > up, hardly ever from top down. Any money should be spent on
> > development, not on supervising it.
>
> I think this misses Ryan's point. Virtually all large and successful
> open-source projects have strong, technically inclined "managers" in some
> capacity and form. Usually one or two, very driven persons who lives and
> breathes the project. Linux and OpenBSD have strong leadership, for
> instance, communicating in clear terms what is a good and bad idea and
> steers the overall direction of the project, but never all the details.
>
> These guys do NOT tell who should work on what, but they have the power to
> say no as far as mainline-inclusion goes. Most importantly, projects with
> strong leaders attract really good people. I'm pretty sure the same thing
> would happen to Haiku, even if at a smaller scale than, say, Linux.
>
> I don't know if such a person exists for Haiku, but I do see the need.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> - wpc
>
> You can't just hire someone, call him a 'leader' and expect that everyone
will just listen to him when he says yes and no in a seemingly arbitrary
fashion because it is the right thing to do. A leader has to lay out a
vision that's compelling enough for everyone else to say "Yeah, I have my
pet issue but I'll put that aside because what this guy is saying is what I
really want to see." He has to reach out to the users and app developers
and not just the core developers.
  Michael Phipps tried to do that when he was around but Haiku has turned
into a design by committee/poll over the past several years.