[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "Wayne Peter Corwin" <wayne.peter.corwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 19:05:52 +0200

> On Friday, August 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> Hi there!
>
> On 29 August 2014 06:38, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Haiku needs a project manager but that isn't a fun job and tends to
> > cost quite a bit if we wanted to hire someone.
[...]
> In any case, I think focused Haiku development comes from the bottom
> up, hardly ever from top down. Any money should be spent on
> development, not on supervising it.

I think this misses Ryan's point. Virtually all large and successful
open-source projects have strong, technically inclined "managers" in some
capacity and form. Usually one or two, very driven persons who lives and
breathes the project. Linux and OpenBSD have strong leadership, for instance,
communicating in clear terms what is a good and bad idea and steers the overall
direction of the project, but never all the details.

These guys do NOT tell who should work on what, but they have the power to say
no as far as mainline-inclusion goes. Most importantly, projects with strong
leaders attract really good people. I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen
to Haiku, even if at a smaller scale than, say, Linux.

I don't know if such a person exists for Haiku, but I do see the need.

Best wishes,

- wpc