[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:23:09 +0200

Figured I'd add my two cents along with a question about the project.

I have followed this project with interest since the very beginning,
tracking zeta/magnussoft/yellowtab in hopes of a commercial
alternative, and I watched the TiltOS fork fail, and I have generally
waited patiently for a BeOS clone. One I can use every day on a couple
of my computers as I have a fair amount of BeOS software I'd like to
use (yes, I'm getting old...)

Every year, I try Haiku on actual hardware to see where it's at, and
every year I'm eventually stuck. Much of the software I have never
really works on Haiku. So I dutifully register tickets and then I
forget about it until I see some news flash fueling my hopes once
again.

Basically, I'm confused what Haiku - the project - really is.

Is it a hobbyist OS project for a small group of people, or is it a
serious attempt? I've always believed the latter, because the project
is pretty good at selling the idea and establishing expectations of an
imminent production quality BeOS clone. Taking donations, mentoring
GSoCs, doing magazine interviews and writing articles that claim 1.0
is almost ready (the ieee one at least)

I think all those things are _good_ if the project delivers. I don't
feel it does, at least not to the expectations I've had (maybe
ill-conceived ones?)

While I don't like everything about Linux and have no experience with
FreeBSD, I do think it's time to consider alternatives if this is a
serious project. The variation in hardware out there is just
staggering and I can't see how you can possibly keep up. If it's
"just" a hobbyist OS project for a few people, then I suppose this
discussion is irrelevant.

I just wonder what's the case here, because the replies I've seen
from core members leaves anything but a consistent view.

Then we probably need to define what's a hobbyist OS. I believe Haiku are a hobbyist project for some, for some it's a real attempt and for some it's hope and belief that an OS can be made better than Linux and Windows. That's probably how it started. I still believe in Haiku..

I have run many BeOS application and drivers over some yers in Haiku, I have also duel booted Haiku for some yers now. I haven't hade any faital errors for some time now but I do make backup and having my data on a secondary hard drive.

So what user did you reported your tickets under? se if I can se what's wrong :)

//Fredrik