[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sean <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:06:32 +0000 (UTC)

I've read all this, considered it, and even contemplated the variables.

The current Kernel is a sunk cost, it is reasonably stable, is fairly
performant given its design goals and its relatively mature and properly
featured for the project. I see no benefit to switching to the linux kernel.

1. Linux driver quality is spotty, period, its not a debate, some drivers are
good, some are bad, and I am speaking directly about operational quality, bugs
and features.

2. The linux kernel is still unlikely to be a good fit for Haiku, lacks good
BFS support, has its own design criteria, has lots of cruft, may require many
out of tree patches, and the list goes on.

Given those 2 reasons alone, it makes absolutely no sense to switch.

Adressing Adriens time, it is well spent on webkit, webkit is huge, the API's
are wanted and desired by modern app developers and the internet is a primary
interface for most computer users.

So I say, carry on our wayward sons,

Sean