[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: varjosanomat <varjosanomat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:34:42 +0300

On 2014/08/28, at 12:59, Joe Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Maybe there are other suggestions around? What should I do next?

Trying to post here, hope i’m not top posting, if so, sorry.

Great work with webkit and all that other stuff Adrien! As I have not yet
contributed to haiku in cold, hard cash I really feel I have no say in the
matter but just an idea:

Help pushing the ARM port towards finishing would be great. Half baked support
for the multitude of antiquated hardware on the PC side is time wasted in my
books. The size and speed of haiku is a perfect match for low powered
arm-boards (pi,beagle black,parallella ) that currently run ubuntu or some
other unusably slow version of linux. These boards are all low cost to acquire,
not out of reach for haiku enthusiasts I would think. Also they make ecological
sense with the low power consumption.

At least the parallella drivers are all fully open source and could be worked
on with relative ease. And the platform is not horribly underpowered like the
PI.

Forgetting everything that didn’t come out in 2014 is the only way forward IMHO.

cheers,
Sami