[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Dee Sharpe <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 05:05:22 -0600

> On Aug 24, 2014, at 4:46 AM, Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM, A. D. Sharpe
>> <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On 8/22/2014 11:10 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>> If such a bastardized (?) Haiku on Linux kernel (Laiku?) were available for
>>> download, I might well try it, if it could run from a USB stick or GPT
>>> hard-drive partition.
>>>
>>> There would be the feeling that if it were on a Linux kernel, I might
>>> prefer a non-Haiku/BeOS interface.
>>>
>>> Let's see what haoppens before passing judgement.
>> As I stated in another reply to one of Sia's responses, the NewOS/Haiku
>> kernel is tailored for the job at hand. Changing the kernel will result in
>> quite a catastrophe. I can't wait for people to try using this thing &
>> realize how the feeling of responsiveness is going to be missing. It takes a
>> very specific type of kernel to run this userland.
>

> So numbers and practical experience talk, not false assumptions.
>
> The Linux distro I'm using right now is *more* responsive than Haiku on the
> same box under the various loads I'm putting them under. The Haiku scheduler
> is overly simplistic and simply doesn't scale well. Changing the kernel would
> help Haiku in terms of responsiveness, not hurt it. Why? Because Linux is a
> highly optimized kernel that does thread affinity migration, per-cpu caching
> and locking and so on, which is absolutely necessary to exploit the power of
> modern multi-core cpus.
>
> Why not take advantage of that, and get usb3 and hardware accelerated
> graphics while you're at it?

Why not go the path of least resistance & use precision surgery by improving
the NewOS/Haiku kernel & adding USB3, rather than getting rid of the homegrown
kernel that's actually not the source of the problem for this project. Sounds
like you've taken your experiment as far as you can take it & you're soliciting
a buy-in from this project in order to relieve the strain that you've given
yourself. Forget the numbers for the Linux kernel running on a Linux distro.
Show us the numbers of your Linux kernel running the Haiku userland. Also, show
us some code. In fact, show us anything more than just talk. You're making big
claims based on Linux running in a Linux setup & executing Linux software. Show
us Linux running in a Haiku setup executing Haiku software.

Apollo Demetrious Sharpe