[haiku-development] Re: What to do with termcap? Scene II.

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:12:01 +0200

Ingo Weinhold писал 20.05.2013 00:56:
On 05/18/2013 04:48 PM, Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
OK. In such case we should not forget that xterm entry in our
terminfo.src need to be patched for 256 colors support than.

Good that you mention it. I suspect it wasn't correct in the
respective bep file at HaikuPorts yet?

No, I think. The terminfo.src in the Haiku sources trunk is not used at all at the moment. Currently used source of term entries in Haiku - the termcap data file that was converted separately from ncurses 5.9 terminfo.src and committed in src/libs/termcap/termcap.src. So some extra lines in the patch file for ncurses package will be needed to patch terminfo.src. And some extra commands to build the terminfo database during preparing the package too.

Another issue I have found: the 'rf' capability is referenced currently by absolute paths to tabset data files in /boot/common/data/tabset/ directory. Ncurses makefile uses sed script during installing the terminfo database to change those references to real path. May this hard-coding to /boot/common/data/tabset become the problem in the feature when common data path in Haiku become more flexible?

From the other side I prefer small-steps tactic: do the change in
single direction and let the people test any possible side-effects of
this change. That's why I proposed to perform this switch independently
of ncurses outsourcing.

Understood. In this case the small steps are mostly superseded by the
big step we'll take anyway. So it's no the most efficient use of time
to take them in the first place.

IMO potential problems caused by the switching Haiku to terminfo are
barely related to ncurses outsourcing.

OK, I probably misunderstood you. I thought updating ncurses to a
newer version and finding another solution for compiling the terminfo
database were prerequisites for switching from termcap to terminfo.

The stock ncurses may be left untouched during this switch, IMO. But such "upgraded" system have to be equipped with the terminfo database, and some solution to provide this database will be needed in any case. Having in mind that in the future the terminfo database will be provided precompiled as part of ncurses package - we can start install separate "terminfo-db" optional package until complete outsourcing of the ncurses lib will be finished and merged. IMO, that let me to solve possible issues of this switching separately from the work on ncurses. What do you think about this?

--
Kind Regards,
S.Zharski