[haiku-development] Re: What to do with termcap? Scene II.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 00:56:04 +0200

On 05/18/2013 04:48 PM, Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
Ingo Weinhold писал 18.05.2013 15:29:
On 05/18/2013 01:45 PM, Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
To produce the terminfo.src -> terminfo database compilation we must
have the tic executable running on the host system: either a) build as
The ncurses in our tree will go away. The libraries and the terminfo
database will be provided by an external package. If you introduce
another tool for compiling terminfo now, it will just have to be
removed again later.

OK. In such case we should not forget that xterm entry in our
terminfo.src need to be patched for 256 colors support than.

Good that you mention it. I suspect it wasn't correct in the respective bep file at HaikuPorts yet?

From the other side I prefer small-steps tactic: do the change in
single direction and let the people test any possible side-effects of
this change. That's why I proposed to perform this switch independently
of ncurses outsourcing.

Understood. In this case the small steps are mostly superseded by the
big step we'll take anyway. So it's no the most efficient use of time
to take them in the first place.

IMO potential problems caused by the switching Haiku to terminfo are
barely related to ncurses outsourcing.

OK, I probably misunderstood you. I thought updating ncurses to a newer version and finding another solution for compiling the terminfo database were prerequisites for switching from termcap to terminfo.

CU, Ingo