[haiku-development] Re: What is going on with the default font?

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:37:41 -0500

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I feel that the fonts and cal are fine as packages, but they should be
> included in the default image. The VL-Gothic font may be a decent
> fallback for most uses but it surprised me.

+1.

> I believe if I had downloaded a nightly image or a release built the
> font would show up but I built from source.

Yes. But we aren't trying to focus on working updates (yet), we can start
doing that once we get everything outsourced. The DejaVu fonts aren't
required, and could be uninstalled by a user who had picked different ones.

> Also, why can't we get bsd cal as a package (or whatever we were using
> before) instead of gcal?

gcal supports non-English month names better, I think.

> Also, why can't we include man pages in the default image as well? At
> least for the built-in commands. We would also have to install the man
> package, which seems like it wouldn't be too much.

Whatever manpages aren't included is a bug AFAIK (the coreutils ones, for
example). Coreutils itself can be outsourced as soon as someone writes a
bootstrap recipe for it and uploads packages for all primary architectures.
I think.

-Augustin