[haiku-development] Re: What is going on with the default font?

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:10:41 -0500

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 03:47:18PM -0500, Augustin Cavalier wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > If they are just defined in the profiles, he won't get them by updating
>> > his existing install. Should we have a policy that everything which is
>> > outsourced and used to be part of the base install is declared as a
>> > dependency to the Haiku package? Otherwise we will keep having updates that
>> > don't go smoothly.
>> >

>> Or users that break their install by removing packages they shouldn't.
>
> It's not broken, I took care of adding the VL-Gothic font which is our
> fallback as a dependency of Haiku and this results in a bootable system.
> There is nothing that strictly depends on DejaVu being available, so I
> didn't add it as a dependency. I like the idea of making the Haiku main
> package a bit more modular, but there are arguments against this too (it
> breaks updates from one nightly to another).
>
> Same for the "cal" command line tool, I don't feel we really need this
> as part of the base install, so I didn't add it as an Haiku dependency.
> I think it is a good time to cleanup some of what we provide in the
> default install, as not everything may be useful. There was the argument
> that these are POSIX command line tool, but some years ago we voted to
> remove vim from the default install so that doesn't hold anymore.
>
> I think a decision must be made for each package as it is outsourced.
> Personally I vote for removing cal and some of the other CLI tools as
> they are outsourced (compress, rcs come to mind). I'm still undecided on
> the DejaVu fonts.

I feel that the fonts and cal are fine as packages, but they should be
included in the default image. The VL-Gothic font may be a decent
fallback for most uses but it surprised me.

I believe if I had downloaded a nightly image or a release built the
font would show up but I built from source.

Also, why can't we get bsd cal as a package (or whatever we were using
before) instead of gcal?

Also, why can't we include man pages in the default image as well? At
least for the built-in commands. We would also have to install the man
package, which seems like it wouldn't be too much.