[haiku-development] Re: What for does SAT solver needed for package management?

  • From: David Given <dg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:13:38 +0100

Joseph Groover wrote:
[...]
> When I create an package, the builder can go through the symbols and
> determine what packages I have installed on my system are required to
> satisfy those dependencies.

Debian does this, to a certain extent: when you build a package
containing a binary, you can tell the package builder to look at the
binary's shared libraries and automatically figure out the dependencies
from that. It works very well.

It's important to point out, though, that Debian's packaging (dpkg and
apt) works so brilliantly well because of the insanely anal-retentive
nature of the packaging community. I don't think there's any way to
substitute for that: no matter how clever the packaging software, you
still need people to make correct packages...

│ "Parents let children ride bicycles on the street. But parents do not
│ allow children to hear vulgar words. Therefore we can deduce that
│ cursing is more dangerous than being hit by a car." --- Scott Adams