[haiku-development] Re: What for does SAT solver needed for package management?

  • From: Kurtis Mullins <kurtis.mullins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:56:06 -0400

So -- if people did provide a way to use "fat packages" and started
distributing them, that probably wouldn't pick up well? At least with the
core team? I kind of see a potential disconnect here. Sort of like what is
going on with Macs. You can get most of your software as essentially fat
packages but anything an actual developer needs has to be provided using a
solution like brew or compiled from scratch.

I completely see that idea that an infrastructure would need
dynamically-linked applications. As a Linux user -- I agree 100%. However,
I never thought of Haiku as a server platform or really taking any more
duty than being a desktop-oriented operating system. Other than the quick
security fixes that can be performed on linked dependencies, are there any
other benefits to using dynamically linked applications in this type of an
environment?