[haiku-development] We've switched to Git!

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:26:54 +0100

Hi there,

the switch from Subversion to Git has been completed, you can access our
Git repositories like this:

Anonymous checkout:
  git clone git://git.haiku-os.org/haiku
  git clone git://git.haiku-os.org/buildtools

Developer with commit access:
  git clone ssh://git.haiku-os.org/haiku
  git clone ssh://git.haiku-os.org/buildtools

In case you'd already done a git clone earlier (from the read-only
repositories), you should be able to use them for committing, too.

The subversion repository will be kept around, but it has been switched to
read-only.

During the next couple of days, we'll publish some more info about how to
use git, but for starters, please have a look here:

        http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/GitStarted

Our repositories are available on Github and Gitorious, so it should be
easy to get a fork there for your own work on Haiku (be it experimental
stuff or just because you haven't got commit access to our central
repository yet).

As the switch to Git changes the general workflow, it is expected that
we'll need to refine the process, and maybe parts of the infrastructure,
too. I suppose we'll learn on our journey to distributed development.

I'll be working on improving some infrastructural details today (rewriting
Trac links to changesets and getting the vendor-repository in a better
shape), but please shout if you've got any questions or experience anything
unusual.

cheers,
        Oliver