[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Even edlin on the Unisys OS2200 was easier to use.
> On a previous job on a Unix platform I removed all references to vi
> and vim from my .profile and just used ftp to get and put the source
> back so I could use UltraEdit instead.
> Several collegues, of whom plenty with a couple of years vi
> experience, happily followed this approach.

While vim is probably one of the best command line editors (but only if
you know how to use it, ie. it also features probably one of the worst
intuitive UIs, but you can't easily get more power out of a few
keystrokes), a GUI editor with a mouse almost always provides a better
work flow.

> Let me finish by stating Haiku isn't Unix, if you want to port vi
> fine
> with me

It's not the question of porting it -- we already have it, it's the
question of replacing it with some easier to grasp editor like nano.

> but as I see it, vi is one of the main reasons people stick
> to Windows.

Yeah, crystal clear connection ;-)
(if you take vim a metaphore of how to do UNIX applications)

Bye,
   Axel.