[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:16:24 +0200

2009/5/8 Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:

> On 2009-05-08 at 11:09:13 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> > It has been said before that you end up in vi not on purpose. I don't
>> > know why
>> > we even discuss this still.
>>
>> Because one could go on forever with this. I'm not arguing that vim is
>> a stupid thing, I just don't see the mentality switch that Fredrik
>> wants to see; it's just the question of where to draw the line.
>> FWIW, I actually wasn't aware that there are apps that let you end up
>> in vim without you knowing it - adding "nano" additionally would not
>> solve this, though, so removing vim would be the better option for
>> those apps (and eventually making sure EDITOR is set by default).
>
> I suppose that's what people ask for. And although I primarily use vim as a
> CLI editor I tend to agree.
>
> CU, Ingo

FWIW:
VI editor certainly does not stand for Very Intuitive editor but most
probably is Virtually Impossible editor.
Finding out how to quit without pulling the powercable I was only able
to do this using internet. Never in  my life could I have come up with
:q!
Even edlin on the Unisys OS2200 was easier to use.
On a previous job on a Unix platform I removed all references to vi
and vim from my .profile and just used ftp to get and put the source
back so I could use UltraEdit instead.
Several collegues, of whom plenty with a couple of years vi
experience, happily followed this approach.

Let me finish by stating Haiku isn't Unix, if you want to port vi fine
with me, but as I see it, vi is one of the main reasons people stick
to Windows.

regards,

Arnold