[haiku-development] Re: Video Problem

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:59:08 -0500

Stephan Assmus wrote:

[...] As I said, a preliminary solution may be to write drivers which support mode switching only. I don't know enough about writing video drivers, but I suspect it's probably a lot easier than writing a driver with support for even the limited amount of accelerated functions that the Be API defines.
From my experience with the S3 and ATI drivers, the mode switching code is more difficult than the accelerated drawing functions. For example, in the ATI driver which I'm still developing, the source file with code for switching the mode of the Rage128 chips is more than twice the size of the source file containing the accelerated drawing code. Furthermore, there is more code to be added for switching the mode of the Mobility (laptop) chips; whereas, the accelerated drawing code should be complete as is.

Regards,
Gerald