[haiku-development] Re: Video Mixer

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:39:35 +0100 CET

David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> PIP, Subtitles, OSD.  To me they are all just mixed video.  Perhaps
> it
> is easier to use overlay but overlay is not always available.
[...]
> Writing a basic mixer should not be too difficult especially if we
> just limit it to conversions.  A lot of conversion code is already
> done in various video decoders.

I remember having seen an application on BeBits that pretty much did
that IIRC. Not entirely sure that it was a node itself, but I think it
was.
I also don't remember if it came with source.

> Putting it into the media kit might be an issue regarding R1
> compatability.  I am not sure if we can add a getVideoMixer call like
> we have a getAudioMixer without breaking things.

Adding something is usually no problem. However, in this case, you
barely would get lucky with one mixer -- you would want to have a mixer
for every application that is using it.

> Then converting MediaPlayer to use it would be next.
>
> Anyway, I might play with a few ideas and try and get the basics done
> before looking to make it a node.

It would fit into the node based MediaPlayer well for now, I guess, so
it wouldn't need to be moved into the Media Kit until it's proven to
work nicely. And even then it could continue to be an add-on.

But anyway, since the MediaPlayer usually knows before showing a frame,
adding subtitles, PIP, and whatever wouldn't be impossible without a
node either.

Bye,
   Axel.