[haiku-development] Re: Vendor branches

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:13:42 +0100

On 2008-12-07 at 17:45:50 [+0100], Ithamar R. Adema <ithamar@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking at porting some (kernel) code from BSD to Haiku. It is quite
> a bit more then the avarage BSD driver, but still quite related. Now I
> was wondering: Is there any reason why we don't use vendor branches for
> the drivers that we import from BSD?

Supposedly because the ones importing those drivers didn't think of it or
were just too lazy. Or maybe they had other reasons. Generally I'd say it's
a good idea to use vendor branches, at least as long as the imported
software is still maintained. It's also possible to create the vendor
branch later by just copying the revision of the initial import, at least
if that were the original sources.

> If I would, say, import a
> subsystem, would I need to use vendor branches?

Since, I believe, there's no written-down law or rule, you don't risk
getting trout-slapped, but if the subsystem in question is still actively
maintained and you don't want to make updating the version in our
repository unnecessarily complicated, a vendor branch is the way to go.

> And last but not least ;) is there a guide to using vendor branches
> within the project?

Just stick to the procedure described in the respective section of the SVN
Book (http://svnbook.red-bean.com).

CU, Ingo