[haiku-development] Using SATA drives

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 19:58:55 +1000

One of my neighbors had a Windows registry corruption issue, and he relies on the PC to get daily work as a contractor so when I fixed it for him he told me to take out the second hard drive - which was empty and unused - as payment for my time. So I got a replacement for my dead drive within 24 hours.

It's a Samsung 150GB SATA drive. My Athlon had a fairly full 75GB Seagate SATA drive already, so the sensible thing to do was ghost WinXP onto the new drive and set up the 75GB drive for Haiku.

I used a free version of HDCopy which is able to do an image and also will append the remaining empty space to the copied drive if you want to do that. So I got a 150GB C:\ drive for WinXP with no extra partitioning or fooling around.

Having succeeded there, I decided to try copying the 40GB drive from my Duron onto the Seagate. That worked too, and I then had 2 x 19GB partitions and a chunk of free space. I partitioned the remaining space into 2 x 18GB pieces from within WinXP (because Partition Logic can't read SATA drives) and then booted into Haiku and initialized partition 3 with BFS. Haiku wouldn't do anything with partition 4, so I went back into WinXP and formatted that as a FAT32 drive, and I can now see it from both OSes.

The Seagate runs DMA mode 5 - 150Mb/s transfers - and boots from the same little assembler file I set up for the old 30GB drive that died a few days ago.

Problems with SATA? Not here.

Rob