[haiku-development] User Guide update

  • From: Brian Hague <alphaseinor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 22:30:44 -0500

So with the loss of bebits and haikuware, and it looking like they will
never be coming back:

http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/plain/docs/welcome/welcome_en.html#software

needs to be updated

*Currently reads*:
"Most of the available software can be downloaded and installed with the
application HaikuDepot that comes with Haiku.
Because of our binary and source compatibility, most BeOS applications run
on Haiku. Many of those have been re-packaged for Haiku or still run
unmodified. You'll find more information on installing new programs in the
user guide's chapter on Applications.

Besides using HaikuDepot, popular software repositories are:

Haikuware
BeBits
HaikuPorts - maintains patches for ported software
HaikuArchives - hosts native BeOS and Haiku open source software projects
in a github"

*Should read*:
"Most of the available software can be downloaded and installed with the
application HaikuDepot that comes with Haiku.
Because of our binary and source compatibility, most BeOS applications run
on Haiku. Many of those have been re-packaged for Haiku or still run
unmodified. You'll find more information on installing new programs in the
user guide's chapter on Applications.

Besides using HaikuDepot, popular software repositories are:

HaikuPorts - maintains patches for ported software
HaikuArchives - hosts native BeOS and Haiku open source software projects
in github"

Changes remove the following
Haikuware
BeBits