[haiku-development] Re: Update about dedicated server

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:19:37 +0200

Hi Oliver,

2009/8/31 Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 2009-08-31 at 21:34:59 [+0200], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Niels Reedijk<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > I do not think it is wise to discuss the configuration of a server on
>> > a public (=Google crawlable) mailing list. I do not believe in
>> > security through obscurity, but let's not risk publishing any
>> > potential security holes on the internet.
>
> Well, I'm torn - naturally, I see your point, but I thought it would be
> better to be out in the public such that everyone who wishes to follow what's
> going on can do so. The alternative would be an invitation-only (closed)
> list, which didn't feel right for me.
>
> We aren't going to send any credentials to the list (I hope, at least) and I
> don't really see what's the difference between the sysadmin discussion and
> the one taking place on haiku-web?
> So to speak, there are intrinsic details being discussed there, and esp.
> spammers could be interested in following the discussion on haiku-web ;-)

Well, the difference is in which level of detail we will be
discussing. It is one thing if the discussion is about Drupal
configuration options, or upgrades of Trac, then that's one thing. But
I do not think that discussions on the contents of http.conf, or our
particular software configuration (version of BIND, etc.) should be
out in the open. These, in my opinion, are potential security issues,
especially since non of us are full-time sysadmins who are on top of
software security daily. Especially for that latter reason I think a
little obscurity is good.

We can continue to use haiku-web for the higher level discussions on
Drupal and Trac.

N.