[haiku-development] Re: Unifying visuals of BTabView usage

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 00:03:07 +0000

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 7:55 PM Humdinger <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone!

Some apps use a BTabView with spacing around it, e.g. Appearance
(http://s2.postimg.org/pd7fqlw3d/appearance_orig.png) some without,
e.g. Screensaver (http://s3.postimg.org/f6mos5w03/screensaver.png).
Should we avoid the mix and do it either one way or the other?

Here is what those other preferences look with (_orig) and without
(_new) the spacing:

appearance_orig.png http://s2.postimg.org/pd7fqlw3d/appearance_orig.png
appearance_new.png http://s27.postimg.org/5yvck1ls3/appearance_new.png
locale_orig.png http://s24.postimg.org/go78o9k7p/locale_orig.png
locale_new.png http://s11.postimg.org/4s8oyyrcj/locale_new.png
notifications_orig.png
http://s28.postimg.org/apm2y3wx9/notifications_orig.png
notifications_new.png http://s4.postimg.org/4sya0b8l9/notifications_new.png
time_orig.png http://s15.postimg.org/3v9fw6mrf/time_orig.png
time_new.png http://s17.postimg.org/tikru06dr/time_new.png

Here are two prefs panels that show gratuitous spacing without using
BTabViews:

keyboard_orig.png http://s17.postimg.org/6lyr6fz9r/keyboard_orig.png
keyboard_new.png http://s21.postimg.org/6bwm4vypz/keyboard_new.png
mouse_orig.png http://s1.postimg.org/ncpwh1xcf/mouse_orig.png
mouse_new.png http://s7.postimg.org/cpbx4r84b/mouse_new.png

What do you think?
Personally, I like the 'without-spacing' better, esp. in the BTabView case.

The BBox in all of the originals align perfectly with the corners of the
buttons below. The updated look makes them feel separated and unrelated to
the controls above, not to mention the introduced misalignment.

The preflets that don't have the BBox borders also lack the buttons at the
bottom from what you showed, hence the variation.

Either the bottom border between upper controls and the lower buttons needs
to be removed, and the buttons realigned; or the space needs to be
preserved with an invisible border for the BBox.