[haiku-development] USB freeze

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:22:05 -0700

A couple of weeks ago I reported that my system was freezing up every time
I plugged in a USB device.  I've now tracked down the problem but it's
really just changed the location of my difficulties.

I eventually was able to get the time to download various revisions, and
plug them in to a spare partition, but ended up with the one that was
failing in its original location, and worked perfectly in the new one!

It dawned on me finally that -- trying to get sound working -- I'd
compiled and installed a new OpenSound.  Removed this, and the original
ceased freezing up.

So what can I have done wrong?  I downloaded the latest source
(oss-v4.1-build1052b-src-gpl.tar.bz2), followed the instructions
to compile in in a separate build directory, and installed it, all
under r30629.  And got into the trouble above.

All this started because I was getting no sound and no volume-control
slider in that fresh installation.  In the new partition -- which
accidentally has an older OpenSound left from before -- I do see a
volume control (but no sound apparently), and of course it doesn't
freeze.

So I'm a bit lost as to where to go from here.  Suggestions appreciated.
(I'm not at all clear how all the various audio components slot together.
Is there a description anywhere?)

                        -- Pete --