[haiku-development] USB "Joysticks"?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:17:10 -0700

I have a strong need for a USB joystick facility, but I'm not getting
very far in my initial exploration.  (I use a joystick (analog) for driving
things like pitch-bend MIDI on BeOS, but my Haiku box doesn't even have
a GamePort.)  I'm initially trying to connect a Sidewinder Strategic
Commander (which behaves as a multi-axis JS under Linux), though eventually
I hope to just buy and plug in a GamePort USB adapter.

So what's the state of this (and HID in general)?  When I plug in the
Commander, it appears in/dev/bus/usb, but there's nothing to handle it
by default. ...*Except* the USB-Mouse handler which seems to start up
automatically, screwing everything up!

I gather from my quick scan of the list archive that the preferred
approach would be to add a facility to usb_hid, but I have no idea how
to do this.  Where should I look for info?

I thought that initially I might try to revive the "usb_joy" code
I find in the source, but I don't get very far there either.  If I
do a 'jam -q' in src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/joystick/usb_joy, it says
"found 9 target(s)..." and does nothing more!  There aren't any actual
corresponding generated objects, so what's happening?

Thanks for any advice.

        -- Pete --