[haiku-development] Re: Tracker's incremental search

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:16:25 +0200

> Michael Lotz wrote:
>
> > That's exactly what happens here though. In list as well as in icon
> > mode.
>
> Hmmmm... That's strange, od'r?

The problem is with the current scoring mechanism. If there is at least
one matching char at the beginning it will overrule the substring
match. So if you tried that on the /bin folder then you'll probably end
up with another command just starting with an "n". If you use a folder
where you really only have the mentioned entries it should work. Still
this is not really usable.

> Having all columns searched isn't always wanted, I could imagine.
> Maybe a better solution
> is to only search columns that have a sort order established...

Well, earlier columns would override later columns and exact matches at
the beginnings will override substring matches. This way it should work
for most cases. In any case it cannot really get any less usable by
that than the previous solution. Because with these rules it will
always behave exactly like the previous solution, except if there is no
match.

Regards
Michael