[haiku-development] Re: TrackerGrep [was Re: missing -lm?]

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think TrackerGrep is great and IMHO it could be
> > part of the base Haiku distro.
> +1. It's mostly developer oriented though.
>
> I'm the current maintainer but I've been offline much
> lately, so it would be perfectly fine with me if Haiku
> would take ownership.

I actually don't like the latest changes you made (at least I think it
was you), that is adding a menu, and hide common and handy
functionality (like a history) behind it. It doesn't feel like a small
add-on anymore.
Anyway, I would like to have it onboard, as long as we don't build that
functionality into Tracker's find utility (which I agree is not an R1
task).

"Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The applications (or a background thread running a Translator) would
> have
> to be adapted to write a standard "META:keywords" attribute with all
> the
> keywords for a modified document.
>
> The file system would need only a few changes.  When adding an
> attribute
> to the index, each word in the attribute is added separately to the
> with a back pointer to the file as usual.  Thus the file is in the
> multiple times.  Deleting the keywords is similar to adding.
> Searching
> (and live queries) is a bit different, since you may get the same
> file
> multiple times.  The simple solution is to have user level code
> filter
> out the duplicates.

But that would result in a pretty bad solution: first of all what
keywords? And second of all, the BFS query mechanism hasn't been
written for arbitrary matches, it has been written for direct lookup.
Using pattern matching (which Tracker does by default) makes searching
anything really slow. Having many keywords put into those indices would
slow it down considerably more.
And it would still not even work like what a user expects (similarity
search, ignoring diacritics, etc.).

Bye,
   Axel.