[haiku-development] Thoughts on Icon-O-Matic

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:04:00 -0800

Having had my initiation into Icon-O-Matic, a few odd problems
and thoughts arose, so I'd like to pass them on for comment.

*   Shapes should have checkboxes too.  When I'm working with multiple layers
    in a paint program, I like to be able to hide them individually, to get a
    more exact idea of what each is contributing.  I found I wanted to do the
    same with shapes in Icon-O-Matic.  This is possible by unchecking the
    associated paths, but that's rather less convenient than a simple
    checkbox on the shape would be.

*   Would it be possible to load a (64x64) bitmap?  Not as part of the icon
    itself, of course, but as a guide to construction.  With BeOS icons, I
    tended to do that quite often, and on this (MIDI Port icon) project, I
    had a photo I was working from, and it would have saved a lot of fiddling
    to have that as a background to work from directly.

*   A shape's rotation point should remain where placed, and not return to
    the 'centroid' when you leave the shape and return to it.  (A 're-centre'
    menu option would then also be helpful.)

*   I was using a Wacom tablet to do the drawing, which turned out to have some
    disadvantages...  Unlike a mouse, it is almost impossible to do a simple
    click (because the pen-tip always moves when you press it), so any point
    inserted in a path always ended up as a Bezier one -- whether I wanted that
    or not!

    Also the pen doesn't have a mouse-wheel (nor does the ThinkPad itself)
    so I found no way to zoom the image.

*   One other facility I thought would be useful is some way of placing
    (foreground) 'Reference marks'.  I wanted to rotate several shapes
    about a common centre, and it was very hard to move the rotation point
    to the same pixel for each.  Being able to place a fixed reference --
    in this case the actual centre of the image -- would have made things
    much easier.  (I ended up creating a dummy 'centre-point' shape, that
    I suppressed when I was done with it.)

Cheers,

-- Pete --