[haiku-development] Re: The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:19:49 +0200 CEST

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler schrieb:
> > I think a proactive approach would be better, though. Ie. an app
> > would
> > just issue a command that prevents the screensaver from running.
> > This
> > should be made in a way that this is automatically reverted once
> > the
> > app is gone.
> We have already discussed this and came to the conclusion that the
> way
> Ryan outlined above is the most elegant, flexible and most robust.

That would be:
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Disable-screensaver,14

> Already for the reason that you mention "This should be made in a way
> that this is automatically reverted once the app is gone", the
> pro-active approach has more points of failure.

At least I don't see any real points of failures - you would just need
some housekeeping as you say. The broadcasting has the problem of how
long to wait until all apps answered; though a second wouldn't really
hurt anyone there either.
From an application POV, though, I guess Ryan's solution could be
actually easier to handle, but also less flexible as it would require
your app to have at least one looper running (that knows about the
action that should prevent a power management action). That would make
it impossible for tools like wget to use that feature. OTOH, I don't
know how bad that would really be :-)

Bye,
   Axel.